Welcome to Pepino
Pepino is a FPGA development board for Xilinx Spartan-6 parts in 256 BGA package, desiged by Saanlima Electronics.
For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction to Pepino
Pepino is an entry-level FPGA development board based on Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA.
Pepino includes functions and features typically needed to implement computing and gaming platforms, including PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors, VGA connector, fast/wide SRAM, sd-card socket and dual-channel audio connector.
The onboard SRAM memory can be configured as a 32-bit, 16-bit or 8-bit memory system and can easily do random access at 50 MHz.
Other features includes a large flash memory chip (16 MB) that can be used to hold several configuration bitfiles (multi-boot) or any type of user data like programs, images etc., and an on-board hi-speed USB-to-serial converter that makes it simple to connect to board to a computer.
The board includes a built-in JTAG-over-USB programmer that’s directly supported by 3rd-party JTAG programming tools like xc3sprog and fpgaprog without the need for an external (and relatively expensive) JTAG cable.
Pepino Rev 1.1 Hardware Description
- FPGA: Spartan-6 LX9/LX16/LX25 in 256 BGA package, speed grade -2C
- Flash memory: 128 Mbit SPI flash memory (Micron N25Q128A13ESE40G) wired for 1x, 2x or 4x wide data path
- On-board SRAM: 1 MBytes (256Kx32) or 2 MBytes (512Kx32) of SRAM memory with 10nS access time and individual byte-write enable
- USB device interface: High-speed (480 Mbits/s) interface using a 2-channel FTDI FT2232H chip. Channel A is wired for JTAG. Channel B is wired for serial (max 12 Mbaud) or MPSSE mode.
- VGA interface: 8-bit (256 color) analog video output
- Keyboard and mouse: PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse
- Audio output: Two-channel audio output using 1-bit sigma-delta DAC
- Micro-SD card: Socket for micro-SD card, wired for SPI or native (4x wide) SD interface, with activity LED and card detect switch
- DIP-switch: 8-switches
- Push-button: 1 tactile push button
- LED indicators: Power (green), config state (yellow), 9 user-defined (8 green, 1 red next to SD-card)
- User I/O: 16(J8) + 6(J7) user-defined I/O signals. The boards have female headers installed at J7 and J8.
- Form factor: 100 x 54 mm
Assembled and tested in USA
How to purchase a board
Boards are available for purchase in the Saanlima Electronics web store.
Check out the store here: saanlima.com/store
Orders are typically shipped the same day if received before 2pm. Shipped from Milpitas, California, USA.
Saanlima.com forums are now up and running. Check it out here: saanlima.com/forum
Board design files
Board design files Copyright Saanlima Electronics 2015.
Xilinx ISE support files
- Generic ucf file, edit as needed
- EDK board description files Unzip and copy Saanlima directory to C:\Xilinx\XX.X\ISE_DS\EDK\board (windows) or /opt/Xilinx/XX.X/ISE_DS/EDK/board (linux)
- Latest (final) version of ISE (14.7) can be downloaded from here: Xilinx ISE 14.7
- The board is fully supported by 3rd party JTAG programming tools like fpgaprog or xc3sprog without the need for a Xilinx JTAG cable.
Fpgaprog utility program download
JTAG programming utility (including source code and binary):
On Linux you might have to give yourself root access to the ftdi device. See this forum post for more info.
The board can also be used with xc3sprog (see this link).
GUI frontend to fpgaprog
More info here.
For more info on miniSProg see this github page
Pepino project examples
See the Pepino GitHub repository for projects: Pepino Projects
Grant Searle's Z80 Multicomp ported to Pepino LX9. For more info see Pepino_Multicomp
Bit file available here: microcomputer.bit
CP/M disk image is available here: multicomp-fpga-cpm-demo-disk
Macintosh Plus on Pepino with SCSI disk support. For more info see Pepino_PlusToo
Pacman on Pepino LX9
Snake game on Pepino LX9
Oberon on Pepino LX9. For more info see Pepino_Oberon
NES Super Mario Bros. on Pepino LX25:
Bit file available here: nes_top_smb_mb.bit
Pepino LX16 with a 16-bit 5V-tolerant input buffer add-on board for uses like a Logic Analyzer with 1MB buffer.
For more info see Pepino_as_Logic_Analyzer
Pepino with add-on prototyping breadboard.